2752 North Southport Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
Serving Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Greater Chicagoland Communities
Athletic Foot Care
Dr. Debra Young and staff strive to improve the overall health of our patients by focusing on preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions associated with your feet. Please use our podiatric library to learn more about foot problems and treatments available. We have articles on prevention and treatment. There are also conditions that are in the big toe that are not bunions. You need to know about these also so you can be well informed. Hallux Rigidus and hallus limitus describe stiffness in the great toe joints; but without a big angle. We call them "no sympathy" bunions because one's friends remark "how can it hurt if it looks so normal". If that sounds familiar, read about those conditions under foot problems and foot deformities.
We also have booklets you can request free of charge; select contact us and send us an email to get them.
Whether you are a professional athlete or play sports just for fun, the demands made on your feet and lower limbs can lead to a range of injuries, including blisters, sprained ankles, torn ligaments, shin splints, knee pain, lower back pain and other joint or muscle problems. Added to these are common complaints such as corns, calluses and Athlete's Foot. Your running style, quality of footwear, and even minor limb length differences can contribute to injury.
Here are some tips for athletic foot care:
- Wash your feet every day, and dry thoroughly.
- Wear only good quality, well-fitting cotton socks.
- Always use the correct shoe for each sport and surface.
- Get in shape. Being overweight or out of shape places added stress on the feet. Condition yourself gradually with stretching exercises for 15 to 20 minutes (warm-up and cool-down periods) before and after any activity.
- Wear correct shoes. Footwear should be given the same consideration as any other piece of sporting equipment. Sports shoes should protect as much as possible, be durable, and should be right for the sport and surface.